2.23.2014

My Maternal Grandparents: A Tragic Love Story


I find an old photograph of my maternal grandparents, Jess and Hope Morgan. As I show it to my mother, she says that her dad used to remind her of Michael Rennie. I don’t know much about him, although I do know that he was born in New Mexico. This may partly explain why I have a fascination with the Southwest, especially the Land of Enchantment.

A few weeks earlier, I dream of my grandfather for the first time: I get to meet him and his goofiness in my dream matches the goofy smile on his face in the photograph. Once he makes peace with the family and sees my mom again, he leaves and waits for my grandmother on the other side. It is all a happy affair with no feeling of melancholy involved.



My grandfather died of tuberculosis when my mom was thirteen years old, leaving her to look after her four brothers while my grandmother worked. This picture was taken right before he got sick. I remember my grandmother as mean and bitter, but now I can understand why. As I look at the photograph, my mom tells me that my grandparents were madly in love. When my grandfather died, a piece of my grandmother’s heart must have departed with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment