7.20.2013

I'm a horror film critic

This is just a quick critique about the Conjuring that came out last night in theaters. I waited for 3 months for this film to come out. I saw it today and I must say it is freaky but… pretty disappointing. I am a big fan of James Wan’s work, but this seeing this movie just felt like it was a bunch of different horror movies rolled into one. I can understand why it was a lot like Insidious and Dead Silence because Wan created both of those films. But, it didn’t seem original enough for me. And why does the family dog always get killed off?? Do people really enjoy seeing animals killed? I always look away at those parts and since it happens in almost every scary movie, I know when to look away now so I don’t get any upsetting surprises. For example, here are some films that kill the dog: Amityville Horror, Evil Dead… It seemed like there are more recent ones, but I can’t think of any. And horror films are portraying witches as evil demonic women. All of the Paranormal Activity movies are about this and so is The Conjuring. Spoiler Alert!!: in the Conjuring, an evil witch from the Salem Witch Trials is part of the haunting that is occurring. But, the Salem Witch Trials were nothing but a group of religious fanatics pointing the finger at people for being witches when most of them didn’t even practice witchcraft. It was just a bunch of patriarchal hysteria. Even though the movie was a little bit of a disappointment, I plan on researching further about Lorraine and Ed Warren. I know they are a bit controversial, but I am interested in them- I know Ed died in 2006, but the rest of it on the internet is unreliable. I think I was supposed to become a paranormal investigator or researcher- I have this fascination with the afterlife...

No comments:

Post a Comment